My pioneer Ukrainian forebears, homesteaders to Alberta, probably celebrated with this Christmas Kutia bread as the temperature approached -30 outside.
2 cups wheat
3 quarts water
1 cup poppy seed
1/3 cup honey, dissolved in ¾ cup hot water
½ cup chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans
- Dry wheat in 250F oven for one hour, stirring occasionally. Wash and soak in cold water overnight.
- Next morning, bring wheat to boil, simmer 3-4 hours until kernels burst open.
- Scald poppy seeds, simmer 3-5 minutes. Drain and grind with mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Combine honey & sugar in hot water. Set aside.
- Add all to cooled boiled wheat.
Why not include this recipe as a part of your holiday festivities?
The recipe comes from the Ukrainian Daughter’s Cookbook from the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada, Regina Saskatoon.